Recipe: Prawn and Melon Salad
It’s that time of year when we have had enough of the winter and are looking forward to the warming days of Spring. But they are still a few days away…
This delicious salad will warm your heart and refresh your palate at the same time making it the perfect seasonal in-betweener.
Prawn and Watermelon Salad
For the dressing
- 1 garlic clove
- a handful of coriander stems or roots
- 1 tsp golden caster sugar
- 1 red chilli, deseeded, plus 1 tsp chopped to garnish
- 2cm/¾in piece of root ginger, peeled and roughly chopped
- juice of 3 limes and 1½ oranges
For the salad
- 1 small watermelon, weighing about 1.8kg/4lb
- 24 large cooked and peeled tiger prawns
- 4 spring onions, finely sliced
- 2 trimmed stems of lemongrass, finely sliced
- 4cm/1½in root ginger, peeled, cut into fine matchsticks
- zest of 1 lime
- 3 lime leaves, shredded (optional)
- a handful each of coriander and mint leaves, chopped
- 100g roasted salted peanuts or cashews, to garnish
- Three hours before serving: make the dressing. Put the garlic and coriander in a food processor with 1 tsp salt and the sugar, then pulse to a pulp. Add the chilli, ginger and citrus juices and pulse until smooth. Cover and chill.
- Two hours before serving: cut the watermelon into segments, remove the skin and seed the flesh. Cut into lozenges about 3cm wide.
- Mix the melon and prawns and add the spring onions, lemongrass, ginger, lime zest and lime leaves. Chill.
- To serve: toss the dressing and herbs into the salad and scatter with chilli and peanuts.